Beverly Akerman

There has been a bit of controversy about this book. I think it may be related to whether or not it's YA lit. What is the definition of young adult fiction (vs. adult fiction)? Are books featuring young protagonists sometimes mischaracterized as YA? For example, To Kill A Mockingbird originally won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, not for YA fiction. Yet we now treat it as a children's book...

Grace Gordon I would say YA/ New Adult. It definitely has some pretty adult themes (sex, violence), so it might depend on the kid, really.
Kristine Walker Most definitely a YA novel, but it certainly appeals to adults as well. I was very moved by Jude's story. The themes and language will offend some readers, but so does Harry Potter.
Holly It specifically won the Governor General's Award for Children's Literature. So it's clear that both the publishers and outside critics consider it YA (or even children's) lit.
Victoria My copy says Young Adult Fiction (LGBT) right on the back, which was written there by the publisher. It is most definitely a YA book.
Image for When Everything Feels Like the Movies