Dorothy Dobson

To answer questions about The Girls from Corona del Mar, please sign up.
Megan Austin I disagree. I thought it showed the aspect of life that people from "good" families can fall down the wrong path as well. I also liked the aspect of Lorrie Ann's love of her son but at the same time hatred of having to care for him. I thought it really humanized her and voices some thoughts that people in that same situation may have (not saying they do have it or that I condone these thoughts in any way, shape, or form).

I also liked the development of Mia as this "troubled" girl who gets her life together while Lor's is falling apart.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone. :)
Max Reif I feel differently than all of you, it seems. I felt the authenticity of the voice throughout, that is the narrator's voice, that of Mia. I don't feel that the last part was quite as compelling as the first 2/3 or 3/4, but I was ok and I felt the book was far from a waste of my time. I felt I learned about some women of a generation or two down the line from my own.
Maria Roff i thought i was the only one! some good stuff, but honestly the whole "kill the/her/my baby" motif was exhausting and, imo, immature (read: very last millennium).

i would have liked more about them as teens...or maybe i was just connecting to that part because i grew up in california as well, in a small seaside town that had little to offer adults, and later in a larger seaside town where shady characters seemed to grow on trees (or could be found under any rock or log you turned over ; ) thorpe was spot-on when describing the darker sides of life out there back in the day.

that said, good for her for writing it and getting it published. if she reins herself in a bit, and gets over using her characters for all that preaching & teaching the reader is forced to wade through, she'll be all the better for it.

ps. i live in reykjavik, and i agree that thorpe used iceland (as a lot of other writers have done) as a kind of modern day timbuktu - somewhere remote and dismissive, a kind of cheap way to 'finish off' a character imo...
Carol I also agree ... Wish I hadn't wasted my time reading this. The portion of the story when Lorrie Ann was in India/Istanbul was horrifying. I found myself skipping pages because that whole story line was bizarre.
Megan Agreed... complete waste of time. I just couldn't relate to the characters, didn't find either of the girls particularly likable, and the entire storyline just left me feeling "icky." I wanted to abandon it 1/3 of the way through, and I really wish I had.
Susan I agree! Was glad when it ended.
Image for The Girls from Corona del Mar
by Rufi Thorpe (Goodreads Author)