Amy Faulhaber
Amy Faulhaber asked:

Who would you cast in the movie? I've got: Boris: Adam Driver Theo: Miles Teller Pippa: Emma Stone Kitsey: Rooney Mara Mrs. Barbour: Angela Kinsey or Amy Poehler in their breakthrough drama roles. Ideally, Patricia Clarkson 10 years ago. Theo's dad: Josh Brolin Theo's mom: Vera Farmiga Hobie: The ghost of Philip Seymour Hoffman

To answer questions about The Goldfinch, please sign up.
AmyAmy I love that you did this! I can see it with Boris and Theo. Rooney is too delicate for Kitsey; Kitsey needs to be cast by an actress who looks more bitchy. SPOT ON for Theo's dad — I pictured him exactly like Josh Brolin. And yes yes YES for Theo's mom. But I didn't picture Hobie as fat. I thought of him as having a relaxed face and a reserved manner. I can't think of who...
TheAccidental Reader Amy Poehler is a great idea for Mrs. Barbour. I probably would have gone with Margo Martindale, however. I am writing five years on, and the movie has now been made, with Nicole Kidman in that role. I never in my life pictured anyone like Kidman as I was reading. The biggest casting problem in my mind was Xandra. In the movie she is played by Sarah Paulson who is too young and too good looking. Xandra needed to be heavyish and a decade older, yet still trying to pull off the sexy clothes look. There is an actual actress I can picture, but I have no idea what her name is. Blong, medium height, 60ish, and with a husky voice. This woman would have been absolute perfection in the role of Xandra.
Claudia Simons Having Adam Driver play Boris would have been brilliant! I have not yet seen the film, so I can't say how well the role ended up being cast.
Jennww2ns For some reason, I can't stop seeing Hobie as Harvey Fierstein. Even though I don't think it's terribly accurate, every time Hobie enters a scene, my brain throws in Harvey Fierstein.
Leah Wow - you are dead on with those! That would be an almost perfect cast!
Greg I love the idea of casting "the ghost of Philip Seymour Hoffman" as Hobie but I don't know how that could be done. I like these other ideas. I'd think there would have to be several people at several ages to play Boris and Theo and Pippa.
Image for The Goldfinch