Chiorini
Chiorini asked:

Is the author trying to "make a point"? Or merely relate how life was at that time?

To answer questions about The Orchardist, please sign up.
Cayce I don't think it needs to be a story that "makes a point." If you were to tell the story of your life, would it have a point?

I don't even think it's meant to be a period novel, because it's themes are vast and timeless. I feel The Orchadist was a story about human relationships, both with other people and with a place.
Bethany Spurrier To me I think the point is about a parent's enduring love for their child. It is subtle, but the book asks the questions, "How do you love someone who doesn't love themselves? How do you love someone who is on a path to certain destruction? How do you love the unredeemable?"
Helen The point may be that families come in all shapes and sizes. Though not of his blood, Della, Jane, Angelene and Caroline were his family. All to take the place of his sister.
Jt Sorry I don't have much of an answer but I wanted to say I was left feeling the same way. There wasn't any real conclusions to anything. We invested so much time in these characters and nothing substantial happens to any one of them.
Eve I felt it was a story about grief. And about family. But mostly, it was a beautifully rendered story about terminal grief.
Mary Patterson The point is simple I think; humans can survive hard times and hardships yet may not accomplish the end goal. That you have to die knowing you did the best you could.
Image for The Orchardist