What subgenera of Western would you say this book is?

To answer questions about All the Pretty Horses, please sign up.
Henry I call pretty much anything set in the American frontier 1865-1900 a Western. But I am also a massive Literature Snob (I prefer Speculative Fiction to ScFi and Magical Realism to Fantasy. I call all these Westerns written after the Outlaw Josie Wales film Nouveau Westerns. But only because of MC Solaar's Nouveau Western!
Elizabeth It's about how the "Cowboy" way of life was dying in Texas at the time. So, the sub-genre might be "the end of the Western era." This is set in the 20th century.
Stephanie I am no expert on "Westerns" or Western genres but this seems to be early American western area life... where there were ranches and some poverty. Horses were the way to get around and you could set out with your horse and leave your life behind you..
Nathan I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I don't know about sub-genre of Western but the "Western" part is really simply about Horses and a pioneering cowboy spirit but not in a traditional Cowboy era (pre 1900)…. I certainly wouldn't call it a Western.
Image for All the Pretty Horses