Joseph Chinnock

Is this a good vacation book?

Sarah If you're vacationing in a mountain region then definitely not! Some of the passages are pretty dense in terms of mountaineering jargon so for me, personally, it wouldn't make for a good vacation read (my vacation books tend to be more light and not so intense).
b. t. depends on your tastes. for me, yes. it's a book about adventure, survival, and people pushing themselves to their absolute limits. others are right to call it heavy & tragic (at least toward the end), and you might walk away feeling wrung out. if you're looking for something light and beach-y, this isn't it. if you're looking for travel/adventure & amazing storytelling, this fits the bill.
Ismail Laraki Absolutely not, horrifying ending
Robin LMD I hope this isn't too late, but I fear it is. I really enjoyed this book, but I would never take it as my beach read, if that is what you are wondering about. Pretty heavy. Very tragic. But really good if you aren't on a beach or looking for a light carefree story.
Benjamin Atkinson Absolutely,
I honestly do not believe that Malia read the same book I did. It is ultimately quite tragic but so was Romeo and Juliet; rarely characterized as a big downer. Please read my review for more, but this masterpiece of investigative journalism captures the essence of exploration, adventure, and courage in the face of mother nature. What a great spirit for a vacation!
Malia It's a big downer. It's quite horrifying at the end.
Image for Into Thin Air
by Jon Krakauer (Goodreads Author)