Jaime
Jaime asked:

Is the narrator a nun? I ask because in the introduction to the book she is called Miss Amy Leatheran, but Poirot repeatedly calls her "‘ma soeur" which I believe is French for Sister. Also, the letter she writes to her friend at the beginning of the book is addressed to Sister Curshaw.

To answer questions about Murder in Mesopotamia, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Sister was and still is the title given to the UK/NZ/Australian equivalent of a fully trained Registered Nurse (RN). The title "Nurse" is given to the equivalent of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) which I am told no longer exists in parts of the US.

The title has its roots in the Anglican nursing communities of the 19th century.
Angie At some point Miss Leatheran explains this herself and says that it annoys her that Poirot calls her "ma soeur". And that he must think that all nurses are still nuns.
Sarah British nurses are often referred to as sister - just a throwback to olden times when nurses were in fact nuns.
Image for Murder in Mesopotamia