Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)

This book sounds very similar to Article 5 by Kristen Simmons, which I liked, but I didn't like the rest of this series. Does anyone who has read both have thoughts on the simlarities, and whether I would like reading this one?

To answer questions about Vagabond, please sign up.
J.D. Brewer Hi there! (First of all, I love the name!)

Maybe I can give you a bit more information on Vagabond to help you decide? I remember reading Article 5 a couple years back, and the thing that may be most similar are the flashbacks. Although mine might be more frequent. The story is told through a constant present plot with flashbacks woven in to tie in the holes. It lets the action keep a steady pace while developing the character's motives. I've gotten praise and criticism for this writing decision, but it's one I stuck to. I believe it is the way thought works. Even when we are in the present, we are constantly elsewhere in our mind, remembering how we learned what we've learned about what we are currently doing.

Major differences?

The backdrop to Vagabond was inspired by a song by the Civil Wars called The One that Got Away. Their music video shows a girl traveling the country on the trains after Katrina, and it just got the story moving in my head. The Vagabond lifestyle became the backdrop for a story about a society controlled by genetic fears. The main character gets thrown into the wrong side of society when her parents are killed, and she has to learn to survive out in the wild. That's when she meets her first Vagabond (and the first boy she learns to love despite the genetic implications).

The music video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWvt...

I'm still looking for readers for reviews, so if you are interested, PM me your email and I can send you a free kindle version of it. I'm currently working on the Prequel for Vagabond as we speak.

All the best!
J.D.

P.S. I'm currently reading Across the Universe. Any suggestions for what I should read after?
Image for Vagabond
by J.D. Brewer (Goodreads Author)