Garland Chasteen

Can't get interested in this book as yet. Anyone ?

To answer questions about Mildred Pierce, please sign up.
Mark Gruben I liked the book, actually, and I have seen both the 1945 film and the HBO remake several times. The book adds a certain depth and vibrancy that neither of the screen versions could capture. The HBO miniseries is relatively faithful to the book; the film version was obviously "sanitized" in order to pass muster with the censors.
B. R. Reed Just finished the book & I liked it with reservations. I liked it because I liked Mildred. She is a can-do woman making her own way after “losing“ her husband. The spoiled little bitch of a daughter drove me nuts. Also, the story seemed to be looking for a place to go. Enjoyed the time, setting and many of the characters. Kind of a good book on the business of restauranteering. However, it is not a crime noir. Kept waiting for a high crime or a murder.
Bryan It's not worth it unless you want a flat soap opera. In such a case, I recommend watching ABC daytime television instead. It'll be a much quicker disappointment.
Image for Mildred Pierce