Lyn
Lyn asked:

Still trying to figure out the chapter numbers in the fourth part... Any ideas about the alpha-numerical sequence on the last page?

To answer questions about The Ghosts of Heaven, please sign up.
Rebecca Sedgwick said this in a recent blog post: To be precise, (and I use all my words very precisely), in cryptographic terms it's not a code, it's a cipher. I have been asked to explain what it means, but I don't want to do that for a number of reasons, the most important of which is, as Stanley Kubrick said, 'You tell people what things mean, they don't mean anything anymore.'

I am interested to find out if anyone can solve it, and how long it takes for that to happen if so, without any help from me. This blog post will be the only thing I have to say on the matter. I am the only person who knows what it means and how to decipher it - not even my editor or closest family know, so the answer will go with me to my grave. If this is irritating, I'm very sorry. One or two people have been rather rude and angry seeming in their emails to me, which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about. Someone asked me what right I had to put something in a book they couldn't understand. Hmm. There's a worrying thought for you.

Anyway, I will say here what I have said to anyone who has written to me so far.

1 - Yes, it is a cipher.
2 - And yes, it can be deciphered: everything needed to do so is contained in the book.
3 - As I said above, I use my words precisely.

If you don't understand it, or if you can't be bothered to try to work out what it means (and let's be honest, why should you be?) then that's fine. Not everything in life can be, or has to be, understood. Perhaps that's one of the things I was trying to suggest with the book.

To quote the poem by James Sarafian that I used a part of in The Ghosts of Heaven, and which appears in full in Killing the Dead:

"It is enough to know that not to know is enough.
It is enough not to know."
Taylor Chapter numbers in the fourth part are the Fibonacci sequence, which create a spiral like the one at the beginning of the book.

As for the last page, trying to figure that out myself. My husband thinks it looks like hexadecimal code. I tried to convert it into text using an online hex-to-text converter but I only got gibberish. So who knows?
Noelle Candler It has been answered! According to Sedgwick's blog it means, “‘The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed..’ So said a writer whose work has always been important to me. I would only add one thing; there are those who are destroyed, those for whom life is simply too strong, but as long as they are remembered in the hearts of their loved ones, they shall not die, but shall live forever…”
spidrenflora I'm trying to figure out the cipher at the end. I believe it is a Q cipher, which is similar to Rijndael. Still cant figure put how to convert it though.
Image for The Ghosts of Heaven
by Marcus Sedgwick (Goodreads Author)