Sara
Sara asked:

is this book appropriate for a 13-year-old girl?

To answer questions about Daughter, please sign up.
Marleny I don't feel this is appropriate for any 13 year-old, no matter how mature they may be. This book was very heavy with adultery, drugs, teen pregnancy, and much more. Actually, it was quite depressing to be in the thoughts of a mother who has struggled with her three older teenagers, one of whom goes missing.

So many, many other books out there for your young teenager to enjoy.
Petra Miocic I suppose it depends on how mature your 13-year-old is. As someone said, kids should be aware of all the bad things out there but then again, maybe some books for young adults would be more appropriate for the introduction. I used to read books like "Daughter" at the age of 13 and I turned out pretty fine :)
Karen Boml I don't recommend it for any age....boring, definitely not a thriller...unanswered questions..
Lisa Forbes I feel that it is appropriate, although there are many references to adult issues, I think that it's important for a !3 year old girl to be aware of the dangers out there in this world. To prepare your daughter for the real world.
But, I guess it depends on your own ideals and the 13 year old herself. Can she deal with these issues in a mature way and learn the right paths in life. To keep herself safe from harm.
Emma
Kristin Skakun I would not let my 13 year old read it. Only you can make that decision based on your comfort with sex and drug use. I do not advocate sheltering her but this may be a bit too much, in my opinion.
Beth I would not let me 13 year old daughter read it—- a lot about sex and drugs-
Linda Hutchinson No. Additionally, there are too many good novels geared toward this age group that would be more appropriate.
Barbara No, I do not think this is appropriate for a thirteen-year-old. There is plenty of time for her to read it when she is older.
June No, I do not think this book is appropriate.
Stella *spoilers*

__

No .... it's filled with topics like sex, drugs, alcohol, infidelity, etc. Plus, the story can get a bit disturbing at times, plot-wise. - I would say 15 and up, yes.
Elvin Definitely not! Definitely not at all!!!
Image for Daughter