Paul
Paul asked:

The book has the same name as classic book by a Ukrainian writer Mykhaylo Kotsyubynsky. There is also a film based on the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_Forgotten_Ancestors I wonder if there is a connection?

To answer questions about Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, please sign up.
Andrew Yes. He borrowed the title from the film because he found it highly evocative of a mood. What has happened in the past is important to us whether we remember it or not. -- I saw the film once on the screen in the 1970s and was deeply impressed by it.
Shatrunjay No there is no connection. Except the fact that Carl Sagan acknowledges that he picked title for the movie you are mentioning.

This book is totally different. It talks about early evolutionary life on earth and analyses social lives of some of the primates in an attempt to understand our own nature. It is brilliantly written and I recommend it strongly.
Image for Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors