Michael
Michael asked:

I finished this book a week ago and I can't stop thinking about it. I definitely want to read more from Murakami, yet I have heard that this book differs a lot from his other works. Which Murakami book may be the right one for me then?

Kevin Burmeister I've read three of his novels, and several of his short stories. His other works are different from "Colorless Tsukuru" in two major ways I can think of:

1.) Concise narrative. Usually his plot is a little less straightforward than you saw in "Colorless." His subplots, though, add a significant layer of texture and depth, both to his secondary characters, as well as to his motifs and images.

2.) "Colorless" is, well, a bit colorless compared to many of Murakami's novels. He toned down the weirdness. If you enjoyed the whole sixth finger element in this book, the rest of Murakami will delight you.

Recommendations:

If you wish to have a weirder, more wandering experience: "Wind-Up Bird Chronicle." Strong imagery, colorful cast of characters, punch-to-the-gut emotional resonance (as we saw with "Colorless").
If you wish to enter another world entirely, read "1Q84". I love 1Q84 less for its relevance to me and more for its artistic wizardry. In spite of its length (or perhaps because of it!), it's a delight to read. Murakami's mastery of the novel form is on full display.
Image for Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage