Deb Luppino
Deb Luppino asked:

Re Bruce Catton's trilogies(?) There is a Centennial History trilogy (i.e. Amazon) with different titles than Army of the Potomac trilogy. But people seem to review them almost interchangeably. Aren't they different? Stillness at Appomattox doesn't seem to be part of the Civil War Centennial trilogy. With lots of other reading I've done inc. Shelby Foote, which of these first? Thanks!

To answer questions about A Stillness at Appomattox, please sign up.
Keith Don't know if you got an answer, but they are different trilogies. A Stillness at Appomattox is volume three of a history of the Army of the Potomac that fought primarily in Viriginia. (The other two volumes are Mr. Lincoln's Army and Glory Road.) The Centennial history covers the entire war and all the armies and politicians. That set includes Never Call Retreat, Terrible Swift Sword, and The Coming Fury. The Army of the Potomac set is a much more entertaining (less dry) read in my opinion. I hope this helps!
Image for A Stillness at Appomattox