Beefgir
Beefgir asked:

is this required for the series, or is it just filler for stuff?

To answer questions about Gods of Risk, please sign up.
Maryann Fläsch It is just filler as it isn't totally connected to the global plot of the protomolecule but it gives some insight into the unchanging state of humanity and how even if you put people on another planet, you'll never eliminate addiction, crime, mental illness, abuse, poverty and all the other treatable conditions of humanity unless we had a drastic shift from the "don't judge my lifestyle choice" culture to one where unhealthy acting out and the intergenerational transmission of trauma is no longer tolerated and treated like the mental health pandemic that it is.

To me, this story shows that despite leaps and bounds in technological advancement, humanity evolves sociologically just as slowly as ever and it is both depressing in that the reality of malfunctioning brain biology will most likely not be taken seriously for hundreds of years (from today, in the real world) but there will always be a 5% that will carry the other 95% of broken humanity out even to the stars.
John Bakke Just filler, not very exciting.I guess it was a start of a bigger story that just kinda stopped.
Image for Gods of Risk
by James S.A. Corey (Goodreads Author)
Rate this book
Clear rating

About Goodreads Q&A

Ask and answer questions about books!

You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.

See Featured Authors Answering Questions

Learn more