Brendan
Brendan asked Guilie Castillo-Oriard:

How has living in Curacao affected your writing, if it has?

Guilie Castillo-Oriard It certainly has! Although I began writing as a child (a long, long time ago), I don't think I would be writing now, not full-time, not all-the-eggs-in-this-basket, if I hadn't moved to Curaçao. Here's the thing: this island has a special kind of diversity... It's a microcosm, of sorts. And the stories that kind of multi-everything inspires are of the kind that don't get silenced so easily.

And then there's the whole ex-pat thing. For me, leaving Mexico and becoming a part, however marginal, however within the limits of my 'foreigness', was key to rediscovering myself, and--most importantly--to getting back in touch with that storytelling 'duende' that I misplaced when I bought into the corporate world. So perhaps it's not a matter of Curaçao but rather of having left Mexico. On the other hand, this land of rock and cacti and crystal-clear shores inspires me in so many ways. Perhaps the answer is kind of in the middle.