Goodreads asked David Pyle:

David Pyle I suppose I should first explain that I was reading Golden Books before I began first grade at five years old. My first three years of elementary school were horrid episodes of retrograde education, however I made a few great friends along the way.
My interest in reading mystery and adventure books from the advanced section of our small school library lit a spark that never really seemed to go away.
I began writing short stories (they were horrible excuses of effort) by the time I was around ten years old, then a full blown short story for my English Literature class in Eighth Grade. Yes, that one was a splendid success.
A few decades of life changes put all my personal efforts of writing behind me, until that spark rekindled (while raising two children as a single parent).
Opportunities to write (the way I like to write) ebb and flow as time permits, but I'll probably be starting some new project right up until the day I quit this earth.