Leslie
Leslie asked:

This is the first Best American Short Stories volume I have read, and I am enjoying most of the stories (loved St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell, Eleanor's Music by Mary Gordon, Wake by Beverly Jenson). I have no basis for comparison to other volumes but I definitely want to read more. Can anyone recommend the best/strongest volumes to read next? What years are standouts for you?

Ryan I've read about 35 of these. The 2004 edition, edited by Lorrie Moore, is probably my favorite of the bunch. Beyond that, the '86, '87, '92, '96, '97, '02, '10, and '12 editions all had particularly high yields of great stories.
Robert Ferguson I can't remember how many of these I've read, but they are carefully curated each year and all of the volumes I've read were excellent. Some of these stories also appear in the Selected Shorts podcast. http://www.selectedshorts.org/
Image for The Best American Short Stories 2007
by Stephen King (Goodreads Author)