Jasmine
Jasmine asked:

Why does she have the character say soda? I can't imagine anyone in Chicago saying soda without getting punched in the face or making fun of tourists. We say pop.

To answer questions about Some Girls Bite, please sign up.
Laura Enright Chicago is comprised of a variety of communities. Some term it pop, some term it soda. I very rarely heard the term "pop". In fact, I grew up across from a bar that my family owned and we never referred to it as pop. In the meantime, my cousins not far from us, called it pop. My parents were born in Chicago, so it's not like they brought it from some place else. The nearest I can figure is that we termed it soda, as you would with most mixed drinks at a bar. Whisky and soda. Whisky and pop just isn't the same feeling. Pop, in fact, comes off as kind of childish.

Chicago is 234 square miles and has a population of 2.71 million. The genius of the city is that not everyone follows the same beat. So this pop vs. soda debate always comes off as silly to me.

BTW: I never once got punched in the face for terming a soft drink soda. Which is how it should be. Anyone who knows Chicago knows it's big enough for both pop and soda.
Kristen I was born and raised in Chicago. I have always said soda. Pop sounds goofy to me.
Concerning Merit, she spent time in New York, where most people say soda.
I'm not sure why anyone would feel quite so strongly about it.
Jadis That's fucked up.
Josie Agreed. There seemed to be several linguistic oddities in this book. But the author is originally from the south so she probably didn't know.
Rachel People from St. Louis say soda. I was raised hearing both in the Chicago area.
Image for Some Girls Bite
by Chloe Neill (Goodreads Author)