SmokingMirror
SmokingMirror asked:

What are the differences between the first published version and the author's preferred version? Is the longer version more satisfying or simply more long winded? (Maybe answer in spoiler mode.)

To answer questions about American Gods, please sign up.
Michael The 10th Anniversary edition (Author's preferred text) is slightly longer - 12,000 words which I think amounts to 30-40 pages.

It also includes an "apocryphal" bonus chapter at the end that was cut from the book.
Arielle I own a copy of the UK Author's Preferred Text. The covers are red with a silver tree, published by Headline with ISBN 978-0-7553-2281-7. I can't speak for any other editions as I don't have those, but my copy has exclusive material: 1. Interview with Neil Gaiman and 2. Reading-group Discussion Questions; exclusive materials are: 3. An essay by Gaiman originally written on 'American Gods' for the Border's website, and 4. 'The Monarch of the Glen' which is an 'American Gods' novella.
Image for American Gods
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author)