Goodreads asked T.A. Creech:

T.A. Creech Since Captive is the story that's currently open on my computer, I'll go with that one. Ages ago (18 months) I was part of a failed boot of an anthology. When approached with the idea, werewolves were at their height of popularity and a personal favorite creature of mine, so werewolves. But then I found out is was a sci-fi anthology and hence, alien werewolves. It's the same anthology that Slither was originally for, in fact.

Anyway, I decided, after that anthology crashed and burn due to artistic differences with a great deal of the authors involved, to expand Captive for submission elsewhere. The more I added though, the more things had to be changed to fit. I finally got sick of messing with it and called it a failed piece. It languished on my computer for over a year. Then my spouse found out I hadn't finished it. He gave me the kick in the ass I needed to get it done, as did my friend Ronnie Matthews when spouse told her about it. There you go, the whole sordid tale of Captive's birth and rebirth.