Keri
Keri asked Jane G. Meyer:

Hello Jane, We became friends on here when I reviewed a beautiful children's book. I am now tutoring a special needs teen boy. He is reading at between high 4th grade and lower 6th grade level and I am trying to get him hooked on reading. Any suggestions? We are reading Wizard of Earthsea and just finished. Holes and Hatchet. Thanks, Keri

Jane G. Meyer Hi, Keri. I never did see this question when it came through on Goodreads. Forgive me. I'll answer anyway, just in case it might help someone at some point.

There are so many accessible, middle grade books, and it's one of my favorite age groups... Basically, you're looking for a book that has shortish chapters, that has lots of actions and where the plot moves quickly, and maybe where the type isn't too small so that kids don't get bogged down on one page for too long. Some books for boys that come to mind right away are: Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (she's a great author for that age group); Freddy the Pig books (from the 50's and so funny); The Dragon of Lonely Island by Rebecca Rupp; Swallows and Amazons (set in England--a classic); my son loved the James Patterson books like the House of Robots series--or the Big Nate series (Lincoln Pierce--lots of illustrations and young boy humor) ... Another tact is the graphic novel world--for example the The Adventures of TinTin series by Herge--the graphic novel section in the library for middle grade students is a fascinating place to browse with so many choices like Pippi Longstocking (she's amazing!) and Hilda books. A couple other recommendations would be the Redwall series by Brian Jacques; Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief along with the sequels; and the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. There aren't many middle grade books that push any strange boundaries, so think about the child's interests (space, history, adventure, fantasy, etc...) and you'll be able to find something that will fit with the child. Lastly, one real favorites that my sons have liked, but may appear geared a bit more for girls is the Penderwick books (they're amazing!). Hope this helps!