Karen
Karen asked:

I haven't read this yet, but the summary sounds so much like the 1991 Julia Roberts movie "Sleeping with the Enemy"??? Anyone else have the same thought...

To answer questions about Into the Darkest Corner, please sign up.
Julia I agree with Juliette - the book is so much more than this or any movie could be. It's chilling, really chilling with one of the creepiest last lines I have ever read. It's worth investing time in, it's a fantastic read.
Juliette It might seem like it but it's much more psychologically detailed and shows someone charmingly seducing, then gradually cutting all other ties off, slowly turning into a monster. The movie doesn't show that. To me that was the most precious part. Also the narrative shows how whatever happened (no spoilers) changed Cathy; how she used to be and how she is is like reading about two different people. It's an incredibly chilling narrative.
Aleksandra I've just read the summary and asked myself the same question, Karen.
Dianne Sleeping with the Enemy is very tame by comparison to this story. They are similar in the sense that it features domestic abuse, but that is all.
Les No, not even close
Chembo yes, the premise is a little the same but just on the surface...the story goes into more detail about the psychological aspect of that kind of abuse, so whereas Julias character always seemed to have some semblance of control, in this book we are put in the passenger seat as we watch this woman who was once filled with so much life wither into a cowering mess. What I liked about the book as well is that we got a look into who she was before she met him and how how she changed after, we watch him systematically erode her until she's nothing but a shell. You really have to read this...Sleeping with the enemy was like 101 compared to this book.
Sheri I loved this book! And Sleeping with the enemy ; ) Anyone have any recommendations for similar books?
Patricia I'm just reading this book and I also had this thought :) But I agree with my previous posters, it is more detailed in showing what led to things being the way they are.
Image for Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes (Goodreads Author)