Millie Moo
Millie Moo asked:

I'm 14 do you think I would be able to understand this book? I'm reading Jane Eyre and I can understand it fine. I read a lot and I'm top English set.

To answer questions about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, please sign up.
Jeanine I think you will be able to understand it. If you want to start with a smaller book, a very good one is "Agnes Grey," by Anne Bronte. Another really good book, my favorite, is "Villette," by Charlotte Bronte, a wonderful story & romance. Both books are wonderful. One of my favs when I was younger, is a lesser-known book, "Work," by Louisa May Alcott, which is about a young woman's search for meaningful life through work. In those days, it was extremely hard for women to find work, because of the rampant sexism then. I have one bit of advice. Something I did not like to do when I was in high school, was read the introductions to these books. I found them tedious & didn't see the reason for it. Big mistake. Always read the intros. It will give you so much insight into the meanings, usually multiple meanings, of the stories. It makes reading the stories so much more enjoyable. I hope you enjoy these books & many more, too. Here is a link to a list of 20 lesser-known classics, by female writers. I'm familiar with a couple, but will try to read the others, too. :) http://www.bustle.com/articles/63615-...
Nancy Van I'm 88 yrs, old and thought I'd read all of the Bronte's books until I found this link...I'm sure you will be able to understand as I was about your age when I started to read them. AND, in finding this link and perusing it, I have found more Bronte books to read and others like them. MELISSA....ENJOY!! My life would be so empty if I didn't have books to read.
Pipkia I read it when I was twelve, and I liked it just fine. Not quite as good as Jane Eyre, and not much plot, but better than Wuthering Heights--in my opinion, anyway. The characters are much more likeable.
Verónica Toro Yes, but then read it again when you're almost 30. It changes, believe me.
David Dunagan From your short bio I would definitely recommend it to you. I just finished this book. I have now read all the major work by each of the Bronte sisters. I am amaze that Anne who never married has so much insight on marriage. Like her sisters a good story teller . I used an e -Reader Kindle. I open up web site for the book I am reading , like Spark read or wiki and this helped me keep track of the characters, (there are many) and the story line or plot. Keep reading and good for you. Another thing I like to do is get a video of the book. There is no comparison with reading but it is interesting to see how a the screen writer and directors handle the story .
Kimberly This book is pretty easy to understand. You might need to acclimate your reading ear a bit but, I am sure after the first few pages you will fall into the world Bronte has created.
Lyn Yes.

I read it at your age, and I'm re-reading it again now that I am much, much older :)
I disagree with the comment that the book changes over time. How can it?
It is we, that change.
Our experiences in life resonate with different characters, our opinions alter dramatically as we get older and our priorities change.

I hope you will enjoy this book. It's a peek into the past.

Into family life, society, the do's and don'ts of what was acceptable to people and what wasn't. It seems they were more angry at someone for living alone than the reasons behind it. (I can't say more, for spoilers) but it was also a time before machinery, telephones, and the internet... yet their troubles concerning the heart don't seem to be any different to those we worry about today.

Enjoy.
Cathie Poynter Melissa: You would love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, if you are enjoying Jane Eyre! Keep reading!
Jenna I think you would be able to understand it. I read it when I was 13 or 14, and I didn't have any trouble so you should be fine.

Have you read Wuthering Heights? I read it around the same time and it's one of my favorites. If you like Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, you might want to try reading it. :)
Image for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall