Goodreads asked Ava Cummings:

Ava Cummings Sweet Muse is what I call a "real girl romance." I've always loved romance novels but tired of the typical romance plot line where the innocent assistant gets taken by the rich CEO. I wanted to shine a light on the real girls—and the real guilt we feel for making bad decisions, the insecurities we feel for not having it all figured out, and the shame we carry for just being ourselves. Maybe in some way I can inspire women to own their own journey and be themselves, whoever that may be.

At the same time, I've always wanted to write a romance with New York City and the celebrity magazine world as the backdrop. I lived in New York for 10 years and was an editor at some of the biggest celebrity magazines—both are such rich places of extremes. I felt they could become great characters on their own in the book.