Goodreads asked D. Jackson Leigh:

D. Jackson Leigh I actually have a blog that is scheduled to post on the Bold Strokes blog on Feb. 3. It will be widely promoted on their facebook page and mine. It goes in depth about my inspiration for the Dragon Horse War series, which will be a trilogy.

But I generally draw inspiration from everything around me. Sometimes a name makes a character pop in my head and I begin to build a setting and a story around her. Sometimes a setting stays in the back of my head for a year or more until the right characters pop up. Characters are important to me, because as a romance writer they are central to the story. Sometimes a real-life situation strikes me as story-worthy, and I tuck it away for future use.

Writers are always observers of life. I tell my friends that they are never safe around me. Anything they say or do could end up in one of my books.

I was in Knoxville last year, having dinner with a group of BSB authors. We'd spent the day selling books at Knoxville Pride and, after a few drinks, were telling stories about crazy things. The qualifier of the night was "but nobody can use that in their books because it's mine." Then we'd all laugh.

Just today, I found a name that totally suits a character for a story I'm planning to write next year for 2017 publication. That sounds far off, but it's not really.

It usually takes me six months to actually write, self-edit, send off to beta readers and give them 3-4 weeks to edit, re-edit, then send a story to my editor. Then six more months of the production process--editing with my editor, going to the copy-editor, typesetting, galley proofing, printing (usually two months before the release month), then shipping to distributors. So, I'm always working a year in advance.