Nadine in California

To answer questions about Ancillary Justice, please sign up.
William I read the Anaanders as the most egotistical way of expanding a bureaucracy to control a galactic empire. Who do you trust more than yourself (if you have a huge ego, that is)?

Given that the Anaanders have some limits on life-spans, with the empire always requiring more, then clones must be grown to achieve this. From early childhood they are trained and indoctrinated to rule.

I agree it would be fascinating to see the First clone, the first mind-sharing clone or beings. Perhaps Ms Leckie will show us this in a future book or short story.
Sc Chu
Ben Stuttard I think (having read the first two books) that there is ambiguity. We start off assuming that Anaander Mianaai has split because of the psychological damage she caused herself by committing genocide against the (erm).. the people who did things in threes (sorry don't have the books here).

However, later it's suggested that the Presger armed the three-guys in order to provoke Anaander into genocide and initiate "negotiations". Or perhaps knowing the psychological, cultural and ideological damage that would have been done, the Presger have anticipated and thus caused the split and civil war?...

I'm rather hoping this'll be the focus of book 3!
Adrian Diaz All Anaander ancillaries are clones of himself. This one just happen to be a still growing, younger Anaander.
Nadine in California Oops - I just noticed that I referred to Anaander Mianaai as a 'he'. Old gender stereotype habits are hard to break! My apologies to all males :)
Image for Ancillary Justice
by Ann Leckie (Goodreads Author)