Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess

Does the fact that all of these kids have to grow up so fast and risk their lives make anyone else feel terribly sad while reading Lockwood & Co. books?

To answer questions about The Whispering Skull, please sign up.
Deb I think it is a different experience for the Middle School aged readers who probably enjoy being empowered and more powerful than the adults that rule their lives!
Jocelyn Yes it is sad. It should remind us that in many places in the world children are forced by circumstances to work and are exploited by adults. Although Lucy loves what she does she also frequently mentions how children are used much as she was by her first master.
Smartalec Actually it even states in one of the books in the series that they actually love there job and hate the idea of going to school so in reality you shouldn't feel sad but happy for their courage and bravery.
Eve Ikr? Anthony is only like 16\17 and Lucy is even younger
Nico What an interesting question, and answers. I never thought about this…I think because to me the book is pure fantasy. If you read Stroud's Bartimaeus series, children start their apprenticeship very young as well. The same for Joseph Delaney's series, beginning with the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

What I think is that this is an offshoot of the type of writing Enid Blyton did with her Adventure Series: a group of child detectives. And, I grew up listening to some Enid Blyton stories…but, the kids did not live on their own in those.

bookbabe I understand what you are saying but I think this series is infinitely better than The Hunger Games where kids killed kids for food. That series was glamorized and made into movies.

While Lockwood, Lucy and George don't have adult supervision, they seem to be doing well enough on their own. I did think it sad that the children were the only ones who could see the ghosts/visitors. Their fight is against ghosts whereas in the HG series, children were murdered at the hands of other children in the name of sports.

I did not read the rest of the Hunger Games books after the first one. It was very disturbing that our school Reading Bowl teams across the state were expected to read The Hunger Games. I would prefer Lockwood & Co. any day.
Joan None of the kids seem overwhelmingly traumatized. I would think Lockwood in particular would be a real problem in your typical middle school classroom. He is too independent, too unwilling to take someone's pronouncement that this is the way things are. George and likely Lucy too, would be problems. However, you are supposed to feel somewhat badly for the whole society, dealing with The Problem.
Ivy Valentin I totally agree, I really liked this book but it makes me a bit sad that there's some sort of child labor here, I mean Lucy was like 5 when she first joined an agency.
Image for The Whispering Skull
by Jonathan Stroud (Goodreads Author)