Goodreads asked Lauren B. Davis:

Lauren B. Davis Don't rush. Take your time. It's okay. Publishing isn't writing, and it won't make you feel the way you hope it will.

Nobody ever believes that, but it's true.

Jane Austen, I am told, felt she was a failure, since her contemporaries were writing big important social and political books, and she was writing (obviously I'm paraphrasing) chicklit. But, in a letter to her sister she said, "Even so, when I am writing I feel as though I am doing what God intends me to do, and that is enough." That is the great solace and comfort of writing, for me. I've been dropped by publishers and had awful reviews, and all sorts of nasty things. It's not about the publishing. It's about the writing.

Publishing will come, or it won't. You have to be okay either way. You can want it, but you shouldn't need it, for that way envy, resentment and the death of creativity lurks. Publishing is beyond your control and doesn't have as much to do with talent as you might think.

Of course I believe you should practice your art. Just like an aspiring violinist, you must study, learn, improve. But let the learning be the gift. Find yourself on the page. Rest there.

Writing, for me, makes the world shiver and flame with meaning. If you want to be a writer, let that lead you, not the bedazzled carrot of fame.