Goodreads asked Christine Carbo:

Christine Carbo Be bullheaded! I once was on a grueling, difficult and ridiculously long hike in Glacier Park in severe weather conditions with several other people, and we ended up getting a bit lost. One of the people in the group got somewhat panicked, and I simply took her by the arm and said, “come on, we’re going forward.” Later, another friend who was there with us noticed me doing that and said, “You’re really bull-headed, aren’t you?” I was confused at first because I thought he was insulting me, but then he explained about how he thought it was good that I insisted on pushing forward. Part of that insistence to push forward is what has gotten me published. So, my advice is simply don’t give up, be willing to learn and make adjustments, but most of all, stick to your intuitions about what you think will work and is right for you.

And now I’m going to sound like I’m contradicting myself and say that at same time you’re being bullheaded, honor your insecurities. It’s those doubts and feelings of inferiority that keep you from thinking your work doesn’t need revising, that allow you to learn from those with more experience, that help you advance forward because deep down, you know you can always do better. The two together, although seemingly incongruent, can be a winning team if you’re bullheadedness keeps you going forward, but also guides you in knowing where to draw the line when it comes to the changes and pieces of advice you’re willing to follow.