Goodreads asked Maurice M. Gray Jr.:

Maurice M. Gray Jr. It doesn't take much for me :-). I'm always watching my surroundings, and the questions "Why?" and "What if?" are never far from my mind.

For example, I recently told some teens at a writers workshop about an experience I had that prompted a scene to potentially add to my upcoming novel. I was walking for exercise in my neighborhood when a woman in a flashy car roared around the corner (going way too fast for residential) and almost hit me. I was still grumbling about her bad driving when she finished her circuit of the neighborhood and almost got me again!

I wondered why she was there (as far as I knew she doesn't live in my neighborhood) and what had her driving like a maniac before eight in the morning. Next thing you know I had a whole scenario conceived about why she was in such a hurry (late to work?) and who she might have been in the neighborhood to see. Ideas are there- we who write just need to entertain them (and write them down when they occur to us or risk forgetting them later).