Goodreads asked Maurice M. Gray Jr.:

Maurice M. Gray Jr. I got the idea for Like A Brother from having heard that phrase directed toward me from women I was interested in many times in the past :-). I wanted to write about a man frustrated by being put in that role by a woman he's interested in, but I wanted to put a unique spin on it.

I decided to take the brother analogy to its ultimate level; instead of just a woman treating my main character "like a brother," I gave him an entire extended family to whom he is "like a brother" and a background that makes him glad to have them (to the best of his knowledge, he has no living blood relatives).

This novella actually sprang from a short story I wrote for an anthology in 2010 (Home Again: Stories Of Restored Relationships) entitled Family Matters. In it, I established three characters (Erik Dawson and his parents, Thurman and CC), who are featured in Like A Brother. Erik alluded to his parents having mentored many young adults along with raising him, and I decided to expand on that in this novella. I enjoyed writing about this family so much that it was a no brainer to make Erik the main character in my upcoming novel Female Problems (the next release after Like A Brother).