Ac
Ac asked:

Has anyone tried reading this aloud? How does it flow as a read-aloud. I have a 9 and 11 year old. Thanks!

To answer questions about The Eagle of the Ninth, please sign up.
Leah Good My mom read these books aloud to my brother and I when we were around those ages (maybe a little older). I remember begging her to keep going, so it must have worked pretty well as a read-aloud.
Maddie My family read it out loud a year or two ago, and it worked really well.
Ambrose O'Neill I did this as a read-aloud to my just turned 12 year old and he was riveted. Kept asking for another chapter. It has a longer - style of prose that requires dramatic style of reading to keep the attention.
tabascosauce As a read-aloud I wouldn't try it, but by itself it's good. If it's read aloud, kids will have a better chance of understanding it because the reader can stop and explain it, but as a whole, it's not as good read aloud. Good book, though.
Karin I am thinking of reading this to my 9 yr old as she will be studying ancient history in gr. 4 in sept. Glad i found this question- and the answers.
Jennifer Just finished reading it aloud and found it a struggle. We did not enjoy it at all and would not recommend it. Did you end up reading it aloud?
Vanessa Bartels I found this book frustrating and difficult to read aloud to my 11 and 14 year old children. The very wordy and long sentences made me wish I was reading it on my own instead. That said, they did enjoy the story.
Image for The Eagle of the Ninth