I marked this book as to-read , long time ago , and each time I start thinking of reading it , I remember that I've watched the movie of it more than thrice , so I keep having second thoughts that I would have to hate the movie for the sake that the book is always better in imagining the ideas and characters :/ so what do you think ?

To answer questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.
Bkwmlee Are we talking about the movie from 2005 starring Keira Knightley? If so, I must say that I didn't like the movie much, but it could just be me, since I'm quite picky about book to movie and/or television adaptations in general. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic novel of all time (I was a huge Jane Austen fan back in the day) and having read the book first many years ago before watching any of the (numerous) movie/television adaptations over the years, I guess I will always feel that nothing tops "reading" the original book rather than "watching" an adaptation of it. With that said though, the best adaptation I've seen of Pride and Prejudice was (and still is today) the 1995 A&E 6-part TV mini-series starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Of course, the book will always be the best, but for those who may not have time to read it (especially with the style in which it was written), watching the mini-series is a good alternative (better than the movie in my opinion).
Jasey I saw the movie who-knows-how-many times, and then I read the book and I loved it. I like the movie, and, honestly, the movie helps me to understand the book better and vice versa. In my opinion, the book is better, but that doesn't make me hate the movie. They are both great in their own ways.
Dave I'm reading the book for the first time. I'm reading Austen herself for the very first time! ... As it's my wife's favorite movie, I've seen it/them (also) more than thrice by now, and have even watched another, "Bride and Prejudice" -- which sticks closely with the original plot -- and is also enjoyable as a 'translation' to a different era and culture -- but in which the treatment of the 'customs' still works quite well... As the original book can stand this kind of adaptive treatment after about 200 years, it means there's something successfully 'basic' to the plot and development as a story... In a word: that it's on its way to being more 'transcendent' in time -- like a Romeo and Juliet theme, for example (another plot which has been remade so many times, in so many guises). I would let each of them, movie(s) and book, 'speak for themselves' because the movie(s) are not at all bad adaptations of the plot and psychology of the orig. book. So let them both have their own effects -- I don't think the movie(s) have spoiled the book itself and its prose effects... as long as the 200 year old prose is not a hindrance to you...
Nada Helmy I read the book first but after watching the movie I read the book again but this time with understanding some points I couldn't imagine the first time
so the movie is great but the novel is still the best ^^
Alison Wolbeck I have watched the movie as well as read the book and although I find the book preferable having seen the movie helped me to understand the writing better.
Image for Pride and Prejudice