Susan
Susan asked:

What books would you recommend that explore Queen Victoria's coming to grips with Alfred's death and finding the strength to live life and rule again? I am especially interested in her life at Balm-oral.

Jadzia I just read Magnificent Obsessions by Helen Rappaport and they go into her long mourning period. She comes out to the public more in the 1870s as the public had lost patience with her continual mourning.
Lily I guess you mean Albert, her husband? I don't know if there is such a book, as the more I read about her, the more I think she never stopped actively grieving Albert.
Read books by real historians, beware of historical fiction. There is a crazy amount of the latter out there, especially about the Tudor "Dynasty". It might be interesting actually to look for a book about Balmoral - I learned a lot about Her Majesty Elizabeth II in reading about Windsor palace. (I know I saw a good documentary about Victoria, Albert and their children at Balmoral, but probably shouldn't talk about that here!)
Ryan Santle Magnificent Obsessions by Helen Rappaport explored this scenario quite a bit. I suggest you reading that.

It has also a very detailed account on the last days of Prince Albert which explains the hysteria that Queen Victoria felt during that time. A compelling-read.
Image for We Two