Sharon Scherpenberg

Was it difficult to separate the different characters in Staircase and give them each defined personalities? Were they based on the people in your life or totally made up?

To answer questions about Where the Staircase Ends, please sign up.
Stacy Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for the questions. :)

To answer the first one, surprisingly no, each character sounded and felt very different to me, so writing them as distinct voices came more naturally than I expected. Hopefully this comes across in the story, but I'll leave it for the readers to decide. :-)

As for whether or not the characters were based on people in my life, I was certainly inspired by friends I've had throughout the years, though no one character is based on an actual person. They're more like pieces of different friends plus my imagination Frankensteined together. I also peppered in quite a bit of myself. Taylor is most like who I actually was at that age. But I also relate to Sunny, Taylor's best friend, because she is in many ways the person I wanted to be. (Which may sound odd, because she's the bad guy in the story.)

Thanks again for the great questions!
Image for Where the Staircase Ends
by Stacy Stokes (Goodreads Author)