Andrea
Andrea asked:

This sounds super interesting, but I haven't read any Marvel comics, seen the movies, or know much about them in general (not that I wouldn't love to). Will I still understand and enjoy this if I miraculously get my hands on a copy?

To answer questions about Marvel 1602, please sign up.
Celo You should at least know what Marvel characters are and what are their traits. Otherwise, you will miss a lot.
Johnathan This isn't a story you need to worry about having background experience in Marvel more to appreciate. Gaiman weaves a splendid story that stands all on its own. If you know something of the heroes then yes you will have a different experience but you need not worry since this is an historical story that just happens to have Marvel characters in it.
Mark No. You will not get the difference in universes, nor will you appreciate the ending as much, however, you should still enjoy it as a stand alone read.
Image for Marvel 1602
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author)