Joslyn Russell

Is this a kids book ??

To answer questions about Men at Arms, please sign up.
Becci I have to say no.
Younger adults will probably enjoy it, but the literary and social commentary will probably go over their heads.
Think of this as a fantasy noir book.

Having said that I gave this to a 12 y/o friend who raced through it and came back for the rest of the series....
Daniela Not really. Most of the main Discworld novels are meant for adults (though in my experience, teenagers would like them as well). However, T. Pratchett has written several Discworld novels geared toward younger readers (10-13 years or so). Try "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" or "The Wee Free Men."
Opal 10+ should be able to read it fine. It does have some violence and says the word 'shit' twice and 'crap' once, very very vague illusions to sex.
Glen There is some drinking to excess. It's not glamorized, but it's not demonized either. There's a "good" character who steals from dead people and kicks people when they are down. The other characters put up with him, but know he's disturbed. There is some fighting and death, but no graphic descriptions of violence. It alludes to sex, but doesn't describe even kissing. It's a very lighthearted book. It's aimed at a clever reader.

If you need to be disturbed by a book to feel it is adult enough for you to enjoy, you'd better not read any Terry Pratchett. If you are a child who doesn't like to figure things out and tries to avoid thinking too much, you should also stay away from Terry Pratchett. Pretty much everyone in between is potentially in the sweet spot for enjoying this book.
Emily A mature tween/teen could read this book and probably get about 70% of the context (although I may be estimating low). A younger child would be quickly bored or confused, I think.
Image for Men at Arms