Paul  Elias
Paul Elias asked:

Read this book over a couple of nights during the winter one year , which I felt helped with the atmosphere of the story . Susan hill is a great author , and her writing really brings this truly scary story together . This is the scariest book I have read . Can you tell me about a book that you feel is more scarier , and why ?

To answer questions about The Woman in Black, please sign up.
Aaron VanAlstine Well, I don't know about scarier but Shirley Jackson's book The Haunting of Hill House is pretty creepy and atmospheric. Also, her short story The Summer People is probably the scariest short story I ever read.
Stella The only book that frightened me more was The Winter People, but it frightened me in a completely different way. That is more horror/ghost, while this is pure ghost story. And a lot happens in The Winter People that is truly disturbing, whereas The Woman In Black has a very quiet intensity -- the level of fear it makes you feel is not equal to the level of haunting that is occurring in the book. For that reason, it has no rival in my opinion.
Ronnie Hanna Paul, I've just finished The Woman in Black, which I really liked. I've read a lot of ghost/horror stories over the years - but your question is very easy to answer. There is only one contender as far as I am concerned - The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I read it decades ago and I honestly haven't read anything quite in its league. By the way, Oscar Wilde also rated it highly. I hope this help.
Regards
Ronnie Hanna
Nathaniel Winston I would consider any remotely scary book scarier than this.

The Kite Runner is pretty terrifying in its depiction of a brutal world. Same for 1984.
Tim Lockwood When I was 11 I read the Jay Anson's 'The Amityville Horror' while I was off school ill, in winter and on my own (70s parenting, hey?). It scared the bejesus out of me. Of course, we now know that it was a hoax but at the time...every creak in the house sounded like the footfall of a lurking 'something'.
Rebekah Richard Matheson's Hell House is the scariest book I ever read.
Dona While I did not find this book scary, I did find Sarah Water's The Little Stranger quite frightening.
Becca Harris The missing by Chris Mooney. Super psychological and creepy. You should def check it out.
Lauri Yrsa Sigurðardóttir's "I Remember You" definitely. The level of creepiness (or scaryness) is full 10, compared to "The Woman in Black's" 2-3...Both are ghost storys, but Yrsa's is a modern one and the setting at Icelands faraway backwoods helps a lot. Try out (if you dare...)!
Pam Carmichael I agree with Stella, The Winter People scared the crap out of me, talk about weird, pick this one up and turn on all the lights!!!!
Bettye McKee "The Butterfly Garden" was a creeping horror with long-lasting effects. I was in a constant fright while reading "Pet Semetary."
Image for The Woman in Black