Martha Miller
Martha Miller asked:

Why is that a prize winning book has the protagonist hold up in a hotel while all the action the reader has been waiting for happens somewhere else and he gets told about it?

To answer questions about The Goldfinch, please sign up.
Sarah Rodger I think the 'trapped in a hotel room', with no passport and no legitimate means of escape resonates with the chained goldfinch.

Perhaps one of very many facets of this story is that Theo is actually being portrayed in the same way as the bird - trapped on a course out of his control.
Jonathan IMO the action IS in the hotel room at that point. That's my simple answer, although I appreciate it may seem a little trite if you're looking for a book that treats action in a different (more traditional movie style) sense.

The action climax in that sense has already just been delivered. I don't want to put spoilers here, but I felt that what had previously happened was climactic in terms of how far Theo's journey took him, and now the aftermath needs to be expressed in the way that it is. The book is not a thriller. It's in many ways a study of psyche. And to that end I'd rather spend time inside Theo's head than I would following Boris around in his series of events.
Amy Faulhaber Because it is very important that we know exactly how sick and drugged up and drunk he is for several chapters, of course! (eye roll)
Nick Pemberton Because the story is from the protagonist's viewpoint, so he's not a witness to what Boris is up to etc.
Martha Miller Liked the box

Hanna
Hilary Donovan
Image for The Goldfinch