Nikita Jain
Nikita Jain asked:

Is this book a good read if I have already seen the movie?

To answer questions about A Beautiful Mind, please sign up.
Betty Day I have not seen the movie - they always disappoint me if I've read the book. There is no way a movie can cover the detail of schizophrenia, hospitalizations, treatments that didn't help, and the long-term gentle support that gradually allowed John Nash to "recover". I especially liked his comparison of an artist who could no longer paint, although "recovered", to his inability to perform the work he used to do although "recovered". I've experienced the same perverse "recovery" - though "only" from major depression - and the inability to function as I did before the onset of major depression. The book makes it clear that the accepted wisdom of hospitalization for mental illness is not the same as for physical illnesses. I heard a keynote speaker for the National Alliance on Mental Illness back in 2010 or 2011 who had recovered from schizophrenia and was leading a productive professional life. It certainly gave me hope for recovery.
DBV Subbarao Yes, please do read. The movie lays exceptional focus on the delusions and imaginary characters while the book covers much longer canvas from child through the nobel prize moment. A very good read.
~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ I also saw the movie before reading the book. The book is making me very angry. He didn't have a beautiful mind but was a shallow snob.
Image for A Beautiful Mind