Goodreads asked Nicole Locke:

Nicole Locke On a castle trip to Wales, I was influenced not only for The Knight's Broken Promise, but an entire historical series.

Now on this trip, I knew I’d be excited and awed and that my imagination would run wild. I was touring multiple castles after all. What I didn’t plan on, was the unerring sense of story, of people that lived during that time. I didn’t have to close my eyes and pretend, and I didn’t have to squint to force my eyes to see. The people were all simply there.

And already there was intrigue at foot, dalliances, plans for murder, revenge, and plays for power. Motivations that both horrified and fascinated me. There were just stories everywhere.

But it was Robert's story that called to me first. In truth, I was compelled to tell this English knight's story. How could I not?

He was hunched and grieving under the expansive branches of an oak tree. His broad back and bared arms a testament to the times and to training and to a man used to war. But his grief came from something else, from loss, from hope forsaken.

I could do nothing for him. But I knew he couldn’t stay where he was and I knew there had to be someone for him.

And there is someone…in Scotland…in 1296 on the cusp of the greatest conflict. But Gaira of Clan Colquhoun laughs at conflict, in fact she curses at it all the time. And when she meets Robert, she curses at him, too.

I truly loved writing this book, but keeping the curses in check was one of the most difficult things to do!
Nicole Locke
188 followers