Rob Charpentier
Rob Charpentier asked Warren Ellis:

Your character Spider Jerusalem is clearly based on Hunter S. Thompson. I'm curious to know if you've ever met him? If so, under what circumstances? Also, did you have any qualms about portraying him considering his negative reaction to Doonesbury? I think you've not only captured many of his best/worst traits accurately but quite possibly improved upon the model. I feel he would have approved.

Warren Ellis Well, DOONESBURY was a very different thing. Spider was inspired by Thompson (though there are several other people in him), but Uncle Duke was a straight piss-take. I never met Thompson. Had the opportunity a couple of times -- magazines wanting to send me to Woody Creek and the like -- but you should, whenever possible, not meet your heroes. I wanted to still be able to read his books. All that said, he prominently wore a black spider in the band of his hat during all the PR he did for the FEAR AND LOATHING movie, and I still suspect he was sending me a message...!
Warren Ellis