Shehani John
Shehani John asked:

To anyone who's read it I would love your opinions on this! 1) Is this book factually correct ? ( I mean the author had to know a hell of alot about nasa and Mars) 2) Did you think it was fucked up as a story on how much fund people would put into just saving one guy because it got media popularity and was a more fascinating story for people?

To answer questions about The Martian, please sign up.
Tyler If by factually correct you mean does the math, science, etc. all work out and play by the true laws of nature then I think the answer is yes, for the most part. The author originally published his story online and many readers would write in to him claiming an equation, number, etc. here or there was wrong. The author claims to have corrected (most) of these for the final print version of the book. That being said, I read the novel under the belief that the math was as correct as it could be; I do not think the author was simply pulling facts, numbers, and equations out of thin air.

And the second question of yours is addressed by Mark himself in the last few pages of the book. I agree with him: I believe humanity is generally kind and will go out of the way to help a fellow human out of a bind. Might this scenario be a little far-fetched? Sure, it's a fiction novel, I'd expect some level of 'far-fetchedness' yet I do not think the extent to which they tried to save him would be unrealistic, either.
Orville Kennedy Yeah, every characters have the personality of a 15-years old. It was fresh for a few chapters that it got really unbelievable and cringy.
Margaret Mae Everything is correct except for the crazy sandstorms on Mars. Even the author acknowledged that it wasn't possible, but needed it for the story.
Image for The Martian
by Andy Weir (Goodreads Author)