Goodreads asked Erica Danekes:

Erica Danekes All sorts of ways. This morning at the gym, there were two very yummy guys working on posing for a physique competition. Wished I could have snapped a pic or 12 but I didn't want to interrupt them.
Sometimes, its a book I'm reading, or a movie plot line. I don't copy the main plot but sometimes a support character lends themselves to a whole other story line. For example, the hero, adopts his late brother's child to secure the child's inheritance and marries the heroine and they pass the child off as "theirs". Well, what happens when the kid grows up and discovers his father isn't his father. Or, a crazy Christmas movie I caught a piece of, where the dude has to marry his "boss" to get his Visa/Work permit approved (she has to marry him to get the promotion) but he doesn't tell his boss/wife that he has a girlfriend back home until after they get married. Well, what about the girlfriend, what happens to her? All sorts of tantalizing ideas to explore.
And sometimes its a defense against not knowing. Ever been in a crowd (bar, restaurant, gym) and catch a bit of conversation and you want to know how the story ends but you don't get to hear it? I just make something up!