Jenna Free
Jenna Free asked:

Would you recommend this book for a high school senior? My AP Lit students are allowed to choose any novel from the AP list (about 250.) One group wants to read this. I haven't read it, but reviews say it is "experimental in form" and also "dark and chilling." Any feedback is helpful!

To answer questions about Coming Through Slaughter, please sign up.
Johann Laesecke I am about halfway through this book and would agree to the dark and chilling review comments. As for experimental in form, it was published in 1976 and reprinted many times so one might think there should be a lot of opinion out there about it. At this point I would give it two stars but will wait till the end to decide. It's not an easy read although a h.s. senior with a mind for this kind of reading could handle it. I can see lots of room for interpretations and discussions from this book.
Michelle Heeter I have to agree with earlier commenters that this is not an easy read, and I have a master's degree in English. Read it first before deciding whether your AP students are up to it.
David Hollywood My own view is 'No' and wait until the student is older. My reasoning is based upon the fact there is plenty of decadent emphasis and description available elsewhere, and much of it classical and therefore more 'poetic' for want of a phrase, plus polished and structured, whereas this book is raw and abusive and cynical and consequently unhealthy to the mind, until your ready. But all the same a great achievement!
Image for Coming Through Slaughter