Lexi
Lexi asked:

Does anyone else here think Mr. Darcy has Asperger's?

To answer questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.
Jennifer I think if it makes you happy to see Mr. Darcy as on the Autism spectrum, then that's fine. But I don't think he was intentionally written that way, and I don't personally see any evidence in the novels for it.

I did some quick research when I saw your question, because I was intrigued, and a lot of the supposed symptoms of his Asperger's could also be explained by his being an introvert. For example, one of the articles I read cited his inability to make small talk with Elizabeth while dancing. I dance and it is literally the worst thing in a partner short of being a rough lead for them to try and talk to me while we're dancing. I can only concentrate on the footwork or on the talking. Not both. Another thing I saw cited a few times was his ease while at home on his estate, whereas everywhere else he seemed awkward. This is also an introvert thing. I feel and come off as very shy and awkward in spaces and places I'm not familiar with, especially ones that require me to meet a lot of new people. But at home, even if we do have people over I've never met, I'm much more outgoing and outspoken and just generally at ease.

Something I think often gets forgotten when people are questioning this, too, is that Darcy has very recently been betrayed by a man he grew up with--Wickham--who tried to elope with his sister and steal her fortune. If I were him, I'd be very shy of new acquaintances. My old friend just stabbed me in the back. Why should I trust someone I met five minutes ago?

So, yeah, I think this is a thing like with people reading Hermione as black. There's some evidence for it, but no conclusive proof, and no one we can ask--at least not in Mr. Darcy's case. So if AS!Darcy is something that you feel strongly about or enjoy because it adds diversity, then I see no reason to say you're wrong. But I don't see it, personally.
Tytti Highly unlikely. He seemed to be able to operate perfectly "normally".
Abigail Anderson That makes sense now that you point it out.
Image for Pride and Prejudice