Michaela
Michaela asked:

Is this a chick-lit?

To answer questions about The Hundred Secret Senses, please sign up.
Cindy Tebo It depends on how you define chick-lit. If you define the genre as having female heroines and female-centered characters then, yes, it's chick-lit. I don't like that moniker because novels under given this banner are considered light reading. This novel is not light reading although it does have some humor. (I have to be careful here. Just because a novel is humorous doesn't mean it's light reading either.) It's about traditions. It's about ghosts and reincarnation. It's about family ties and relationships. Amazon often gives you an excerpt of a novel that you can read online or you can check the title out at your local library. Read a few chapters and decide if it's for you.
Karen Douglass Definitely not chick-lit, unless you think that revolution in China, reincarnation, family structure and precarious marriages are chick-lit. I doubt that Amy Tan would ever write to formula or mere commercial considerations.
Gloria Piper I never felt sure what chick-lit is. The name sounds offensive, as if to dismiss woman-centered literature as beneath notice. I consider this book to be a literary novel of great substance.
Jessica Turner Yeah not Chick-lit! But it is deep and mysterious and also a bit of adventure.
Image for The Hundred Secret Senses
by Amy Tan (Goodreads Author)