Zalynnc
Zalynnc asked:

Id this book really religious?

To answer questions about The Secret Life of Bees, please sign up.
Susu Sullivan Religion is an important part of the culture she is describing in the book. If you're asking if it is meant to inspire religious notions, then it is not. It is one of the many elements that make up the characters and it is peppered in so well. I'm enjoying it very much right now! I think at least every woman should read it!
Mystique I don't remember thinking so at all.
Amanda KM Kidd, who once wrote religious works, has split from that tradition. There are religious motifs throughout her novel, but those symbols take on a more spiritual and ethereal meaning. A superficial skim of this novel may make it appear religious, but I think she takes archaic symbols and transforms them into something that blends humanity and divinity, which I found to be very beautiful.
Image for The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd (Goodreads Author)