Mandy Daniels
Mandy Daniels asked:

Hi Everyone I am trying to get my 13 year old son to read more. Unlike me, he sees reading as a chore and not something one does as easy as breathing. My question is: would Watchers, Twilight Eyes, Strangers and Midnight (all by Dean Koontz) be suitable for a 13 year old? I read these books as a teen and remember not being able to put them down, but not much more than that. Thanks in advance. Mandy

To answer questions about Midnight, please sign up.
James Love Honestly, Dean Koontz is tame in comparison to what I see on CNN. I didn't get into horror fiction until around 1987 when Stephen King's novel It came out. But I do remember a lot of the girls in my high school class read lots of Dean Koontz, John Saul, Stephen King and V. C. Andrews.
Luann If he likes dogs, then definitely get him to read Watchers. Actually, I think a 13-year old can handle any of Dean Koontz' novels and highly recommend them. They have realistic characters, most are humorous and uplifting, and are definitely well-written. The Odd Thomas set and the Frankenstein series are more modern in setting, and might be a good start.
Melissa Goodnight I know this is an old question, but to add, I started reading Koontz as a young teenager, and while I'd always loved reading, his novel Darkfall is what highlighted my favorite genre and author and propelled my love of reading to the next level. I think they're fine for a 13 year old (but I don't have kids, so that's just memories of my own experiences).
Sheila Not too sure about those titles Mandy, but has he tried the 'Odd Thomas' series by Dean Koontz? Or Dean Koontz's Frankenstein?
He might also like the 'Virals' series by Kathy Reichs or the 'Mickey Bolitar' series by Harlan Coben.
Becke Turner I loved these books and think they are fine for teens. You might also try books categoried in Young Adult. Jana Oliver has some great series.
Elizabeth Perez Midnight was my favorite book as a teen although when I read Twilight eyes I felt like it was a little too much for me at the time.
Brian Taylor My niece is 13 and is a voracious reader. She's grown bored of books aimed at kids her age so I've been lending her some of my books. One of the books I gave her was Darkfall, by Dean Koontz. She loved it. She currently loves the Seal Team 666 series (by Weston Ochse) and won't give my copies back so she can read them again. My only advice is to use your best judgement. You never know unless you try. Best of luck!
The Girl with the Sagittarius Tattoo I also fell in love with this genre as a teen. In my opinion, anything that will get a kid to read will do more good than harm. Take a chance on it.
Image for Midnight
by Dean Koontz (Goodreads Author)